We’re always on the look out for the next new burger flavour. Here are some of our new ideas that we hope you find inspiring:
5 TERRIFIC TOPPERS
- Anna Olson’s Harissa Mayo: In a small bowl combine ½ cup mayonnaise, a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 2 tsp dried harissa blend, or fresh harissa paste.
- Saigon Carrot Slaw: Heat 1/4 cup (50 mL) rice vinegar to boiling; pour over 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrot. Stir in 1/2 tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot chili pepper flakes; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving carrot; use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Stir in some chopped fresh coriander just before serving if desired.
- Sage Onion Compote: In heavy saucepan, heat 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium heat. Add 3 cups sliced red onion; cook, stirring often for 10 to 12 minutes or until onion just starts to brown. Stir in 1/4 cup toasted coarsely chopped almonds, 1 tbsp EACH brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and chopped fresh sage; heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chimichurri Salsa: In a food processor, combine 3 cups lightly packed fresh parsley leaves (approx 1 bunch), 2 cloves garlic, ¼ tsp hot pepper sauce, ⅛ tsp salt, pinch of freshly ground black pepper. With motor running, gradually blend in ¼ cup olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice until mixture resembles pesto. Stir in 1 large plum tomato, diced and 2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro (if desired).
- Pineapple Pepper Salsa: Combine 2 cup small pineapple chunks, 1 sweet red pepper, chopped, ½ cup minced red onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, 2 tbsp EACH lime juice, olive oil and minced fresh cilantro and ¼ tsp EACH salt and pepper.