Simple spices combine to make a unique rub for roasts and steaks. Paired up with a matching barbecue ‘mop’ (Southern U.S. bbq lingo for barbecue sauce), this combo makes an authentic slow-roasting Southern BBQ experience for cooking roasts in the oven or by indirect heat on the barbecue or smoker.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
1 tsp EACH paprika and granulated sugar
1/2 tsp EACH golden brown sugar, chili powder, ground cumin and dry mustard
¼ tsp EACH ground dried thyme, garlic powder, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine paprika, granulated and brown sugars, chili powder, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Rub 1 tablespoon all over roast. (Note: Makes approx. ¼ cup; reserve remaining spice mixture in a sealed container to use throughout the barbecue season.)
2. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer sideways into center of roast.
3. Roast in 350°F oven, uncovered, until thermometer reads 140°F (63°C) for medium-are doneness, about 35 to 40 minutes, basting with Kansas City Mop in last 15 minutes if desired. (OR barbecue roast by indirect heat in barbecue preheated to 400°F)
4. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for about 15 minutes before carving across the grain into thin slices. Serve with Kansas City Mop for dipping if desired.
Kansas City Mop: In saucepan, whisk together 1 cup EACH ketchup and tomato sauce, ¾ cup EACH brown sugar and cider vinegar, ¼ cup corn syrup, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika, ½ tsp EACH chili powder, pepper, celery seeds and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Makes 3 cups. (Make-ahead: Cool mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.)
• Use the Mop to baste the roast during cooking, keeping some aside to serve as a dipping sauce. The Mop makes a generous 3 cups so there’s lots of extra to have on hand in your fridge to use as a barbecue sauce or a marinade.
We take your interest in our newsletter as a compliment and respect your right to privacy. We will not share or distribute your personal information and you can opt out anytime. We hope you enjoy our newsletter, thank you for Joining Us! ~Canada Beef