Ground beef and smashed kidney beans are seasoned with warm spices and formed into a delicious meatball packed with protein and fibre – perfect for make ahead lunches and quick weeknight dinners. Use white kidney beans if you don’t want the kids to spot them.
In a large bowl, whisk oil with lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and mint. Add cabbage, carrot and onion; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meatballs: Preheat oven to 400°F (200C). In a large bowl, smash kidney beans with a potato masher until just slightly chunky. Add eggs, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and cinnamon; stir to combine. Add beef, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Gently mix well. Form into 24 meatballs.
Arrange meatballs on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F (71°C) when inserted into center of meatball. Cool slightly. Serve with slaw and toasted pita.
• Serve with tomato and cucumber slices for a bright and fresh compliment to the meatballs.
• Serve with a dollop of assorted dips such as hummus, baba ghanoush or tzatziki.
• Replace cabbage and shredded carrot with a bagged coleslaw blend.
• Substitute kidney beans with black beans, navy beans or chickpeas.
• Trying to sneak the beans in? Use white beans and mash until very smooth – even the pickiest of eaters will never notice!