Enjoy this Ikea classic from the comfort of your home! They’re easy to assemble yourself following the simple instructions below. Serve over hot, creamy mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
1. Combine shallots, egg, panko, garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, ½ tsp (2 mL) salt and ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) pepper. Gently mix in ground beef with a fork (careful not to over-mix). Roll meat mixture into12 large meatballs and place on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours to help meatballs retain their shape.
2. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add half the meatballs and cook for about 8 minutes, turning until browned on all sides. Transfer to ovenproof dish. Repeat with remaining oil and meatballs. Reserve skillet.
3. Cover and bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted into several meatballs reads 160ºF (71ºC).
4. Meanwhile, return skillet to medium heat; add butter and swirl to melt. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in beef broth and bring to a boil; cook, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in cream, Worcestershire and Dijon; season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Return the meatballs and any juices to the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, until flavours are just blended. Serve garnished with parsley and jam on the side.
Meatballs are also great served over rice or couscous or quinoa.