Tender, juicy and chocked full of flavour, cooking these skewers in the air fryer means you avoid fussing over a grill–especially helpful when the weather is nasty. Note: Cook times suggested are based on a counter-top family-size air fryer**; times will vary with different appliances so always check for doneness with a reliable digital instant-read thermometer and texture cues and adjust cook time as necessary.
1. Slice the steak across the grain into ¼-inch (0.5 cm) thick strips and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with chipotle powder, cumin, garlic powder, lime juice, canola oil and green onion. Stir well until beef strips are evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour for up to 24 hours.
2. Meanwhile, soak skewers in water for about 15 minutes. Drain.
3. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Thread one or two beef strips along the length of each skewer, weaving like a ribbon. Pat beef dry with paper towel.
4. Place a single layer of skewers in the air fryer basket. (NOTE: The size of the air fryer will determine if the skewers can be cooked in one or two batches.) Set temperature to 375°F (190°C) and set time for 6 minutes. Cook skewers until beef is medium-rare at the least (145°F/63°C).
5. Dipping Sauce: Meanwhile, combine yogurt, lime juice, green onion and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
6. Transfer cooked beef skewers to a plate and cover with foil; cook with remaining skewers, if necessary.
7. Serve skewers with Dipping Sauce.
If your spice cupboard doesn’t include chipotle powder, substitute for 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder and pinch or two of cayenne pepper—more or less, depending on your threshold for heat.
Be sure you check that the skewers will fit easily into the air fryer basket. Use a larger number of smaller skewers, or cut long skewers in half, and use just one piece of meat per skewer, if necessary.
**Note: A Philips Airfryer XXL model was used for testing.