Here's a small roast that's a big idea! Perfect for small families, Quick Roasts are 1 lb (500 g) fresh beef roasts that are cut from traditional Oven Roasts. Since they cook in less than an hour, they are perfect for dinners during the week. Serve this not-so-traditional roast beef recipe with steamed rice and the Super Simple Stir-fry.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 50 mins
Yields: 4 servings
¼ cup (50 mL) hoisin sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH brown sugar and sambel oelek
2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
1 green onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Beef Mini Quick Roast, about 1 lb (500 g)
Super Simple Stir-fry (recipe follows)
1. Combine hoisin sauce, brown sugar, sambel oelek, gingerroot, green onion and garlic. Set aside 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the hoisin mixture.
2. Insert meat thermometer lengthwise into centre of roast so that shaft is not visible. Place on rack in ovenproof skillet or shallow pan. Rub surface of roast with hoisin mixture; add a splash of water to bottom of pan (to prevent rub from scorching). Cook uncovered in a 350°F (180°C) oven until thermometer reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare, about 50 minutes.
3. Remove roast to cutting board; tent foil for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make Super Simple Stir-fry (recipe follows).
• Super Simple Stir-fry: Place pan used for cooking the roast over medium-high heat; pour in 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth, 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar and the 1/4 cup reserved hoisin mixture. Bring to boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Dissolve 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch in 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water and stir into pan. Cook stirring until thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Toss sauce with 3 to 4 cups steamed frozen mixed Asian vegetables and serve with thinly sliced Korean Quick Roast Beef. Season with a squeeze of lemon or salt and pepper to taste.
• TIP: Look for sambal oelek (an Asian chili paste) in the Asian section of your local grocery store. You can use it like a spicy ketchup.
We take your interest in our newsletter as a compliment and respect your right to privacy. We will not share or distribute your personal information and you can opt out anytime. We hope you enjoy our newsletter, thank you for Joining Us! ~Canada Beef