These little lasagnas are easy to make and are the perfect nosh for game night at home or a tailgate party out at the field. One easy recipe makes many and kids love them too. Switch-up the flavours to make the mix Mexican or Greek versions – variety is the spice of life!
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Yields: 12 'cupcakes'
1 lb (0.45 kg) Lean or Medium Ground Beef
½ cup minced onion
½ cup minced mushrooms
1 cup pasta sauce
¾ cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp minced green onion or chives
Salt and pepper
24 wonton wrappers
1 cup EACH grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pan-fry ground beef, onions and mushrooms thoroughly in large skillet. Drain if necessary. Add pasta sauce and heat through.
2. Meanwhile, combine ricotta with basil, green onion, salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
3. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Press a wonton wrapper firmly into the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon in a scant 1 tsp EACH Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta and top with 1 tbsp of the meat mixture.
4. Layer a second wonton into each cup and top each with approx. 1 tsp EACH of the cheeses. Divide meat mixture evenly among the cups (approx. 1/4 cup each). Top with additional grated Parmesan or mozzarella if desired.
5. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are brown and cupcakes are bubbling. Remove form the oven; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Use a knife to remove each cupcake from muffin tin.
Cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen before baking. Bake from frozen for 25 minutes.
Be sure to buy wonton wrappers – NOT egg roll wrappers – wonton wrappers are the best size. If you haven’t used these wrappers before, you’ve got to give them a try – you usually find them refrigerated in the produce section where you find tofu. They work just like a lasagna noodle in these cupcakes, without the hassle of having to boil noodles.
Mexican Version: Use shredded Cheddar or Tex-Mex Cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella. Add ½ cup salsa, 2/3 cup canned kidney beans (drained and rinsed), 2 tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp ground cumin to the meat sauce.
Greek Version: Use crumbled feta cheese instead of the mozzarella. Add 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves or Italian seasoning and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon to the meat sauce.
We take your interest in our newsletter as a compliment and respect your right to privacy. We will not share or distribute your personal information and you can opt out anytime. We hope you enjoy our newsletter, thank you for Joining Us! ~Canada Beef