Dinner Made Easy
|1 lb (500 g)||thick Beef Grilling Steak (e.g. Bottom Sirloin Flap, Strip Loin or Rib Eye), trimmed|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||miso paste|
|1/3 cup (75 mL)||vegetable oil|
|3 tbsp (45 mL)||EACH fish sauce and lime juice|
|1 tsp (5 mL)||miso paste|
|1/2 tsp (2 mL)||EACH chili flakes and granulated sugar|
|Salt and Pepper|
|Salad:||Torn romaine leaves, thinly sliced seeded sweet red pepper, orange wedges, peanuts and cilantro leaves|
1. Rub: steak all over with miso paste. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Wipe off paste and grill to medium-rare; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together: fish sauce, lime juice, vegetable oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) miso paste, chili flakes and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Toss with: romaine, red pepper, orange wedges, peanuts and cilantro leaves. Slice beef steak and top salad.
- Miso Paste: The magic of miso is FLAVOUR! This condiment is a pantry staple in Japanese cuisine. Made from fermented soybeans, its rich sweet-salty nuttiness blends perfectly with beef’s big flavour. Find miso in the sushi section at the grocery store and keep refrigerated. Try it in marinades, dressings and mixed into bold beef burgers!
- Fish Sauce: This is a savoury tangy seasoning that’s big in Thailand, often taking the place of salt. Made from anchovies, it is the secret weapon in killer stir-fries. Use just a splash to brighten dressings, sauces and marinades. Find it in the Asian section at your grocers. It will keep forever in the fridge.
Never grilled a steak before? Watch this easy video guide on grilling the perfect steak: