Beef on the barbecue – what could be better? Here’s what you need to be the backyard barbecue master – just a few easy tips and tricks!
Now sear this: Pan searing is a simple way to create restaurant-style steaks at home. Once you know how, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to do.
Get Ready Grilling
Simply season and cook by grilling, broiling or pan-frying.
- Season steak or medallion
- Grill, broil or pan-fry using medium-high heat, turning at least twice with tongs
- COOK to medium-rare 145oF (63oC) at the least
|Estimated Grilling Time
Using medium-high heat 400°F (200°C)
|Steak Thickness||Total Grilling Time (minutes)|
|Med-Rare 145°F (63°C)||Medium 160°F (71°C)||Well 170°F (77°C)|
|1 to 2 cm (1/2 to ¾ inch)||6-8||8-10||10-12|
|2.5 cm (1 inch)||10-12||12-14||14-18|
|4 cm (1-1/2 inches)||18-20||20-28||30-36|
|5 cm (2 inches)||22-28||28-36||36-44|
Get Ready Searing
- Start with a thick-cut Beef Grilling Steak or Medallion, minimum 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick. Boneless cuts cook faster and more evenly than those with bone.
- Grilling Steaks/Medallions: Top Sirloin, Strip Loin, Tenderloin, Rib Eye
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
Turn on the stove exhaust fan or prop the kitchen door or window open to avoid setting off the smoke detector.
- Use a shallow stainless steel pan with a heavy bottom (Nonstick pans don’t brown as well).
- Use a pan that is large enough to cook the meat without over-crowding. If you overcrowd the pan, the meat will steam rather than brown. Brown the meat in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Use tongs to turn the meat.
- Wear an apron as there will be splatters.
- If using steaks more than 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick, set oven to 375°F (190°C) and use pan with ovenproof handles.
1. You flip steaks only once. TRUTH: Steaks cook more evenly when flipped at least twice during grilling.
2. Bring steaks to room temperature before grilling. TRUTH: By the time the steak is warm in the centre, the surface of the steak has been at room temperature long enough for food safety risk.
3. Seasoning steaks before grilling draws out moisture and makes steaks dry.
Seasoning steaks before grilling will not draw out enough moisture to make the steak dry out. Seasoning prior to grilling enhances the flavour better than if you season the steaks after grilling. Do the taste test and try it for yourself!
Tips for the perfect Steak
Marinating steaks often have the boldest beefy flavour and can be value-priced.
DID YOU KNOW
Marinades are all about building steak flavour and juiciness. Piercing steak all over with a fork is what helps tenderize the steak.
FYIThe icon of beef, a Beef Steak refers to a cut that has a shape similar to that of a hand, ranging from ¼ to 2 inches thick. Steaks, rang in tenderness, so they require different cooking methods: grilling, marinating or simmering. Medallions are steaks cut to be single portioned, much like the look of a Tenderloin. They are thick cut so there’s less risk of overcooking. All Canadian steaks are sorted into 3 BASIC COOKING CATEGORIES so you know what you’re buying and how to cook it: Choose from GRILLING, MARINATING and SIMMERING.
- Top Sirloin Grilling Steak
- Rib Cap Off Grilling Steak
- Rib Eye Grilling Steak
- Top Sirloin Cap Off Grilling Steak
- Tenderloin Grilling Steak (FILET)
- T-Bone Grilling Steak
- Strip Loin
- Prime Rib Grilling Steak
- Rib Eye Grilling Medallion
- Porterhouse Grilling Steak
- Sirloin Grilling Steak
Less Common Cuts
- Beef Grilling Back Ribs
- Hanging Tender Grilling Steak
- Bottom Sirloin Bavette Flap Grilling Steak
- Bottom Sirloin Tri-Tip Grilling Steak
- Top Sirloin Cap Grilling Steak
- Top Blade Flat Iron Grilling Steak
- Strip Loin Grilling Medallion
Minute or Fast-fry Steaks make the perfect speedy weeknight dinner.
Add coconut milk and curry paste to your pantry for a beef curry that's faster than take-out!
To maximize tenderness of Marinating Steaks, grill them TO MEDIUM and carve in THIN SLICES ACROSS THE GRAIN to serve. More Marinating Tips: DISCARD a used marinade or bring it to a boil before using as a dipping sauce. PAT STEAK DRY with paper towel and SEASON before grilling to maximize browning.
This easy open-face beef sandwich recipe is a variation of the French classic baguette à l’échalottes.
This exotic recipe is made with simple market-fresh ingredients. You can use a Tri-tip or your favourite Marinating Steak such as: Flank, Sirloin Tip, Inside or Outside or Eye of Round.
This recipe for Beef Steak Diane is a steak-house classic that's guaranteed to impress!
Bistros serve up fancy foods fast at affordable prices. Bring the bistro home with this pan-seared steak featuring Bottom Sirloin Tri–tip – it tastes like a million but won’t break the bank.
Crisp garlic toasts are topped with sweet and spicy beef – this Maple Beef Steak Toast recipe is perfect for an easy appetizer or buffet. Spicy chutney packs a flavour punch.
Explore some of the flavours of the world’s cuisines right in your own back yard with the Jamaican Jump Up.
Here’s a beef recipe that embraces the flavours of the harvest and pickling season.
Value-priced marinated beef steak becomes marvelous with the addition of Greek seasonings, feta cheese, Kalamata olives and a tangy salsa. Roll into a flour tortilla for the ultimate portable recipe.
More than just leafy greens, this beef steak salad recipe has substantial staying-power, built on economical Marinating Steak that’s been grilled and cut into thin slices.
For the healthiest version of this recipe, use whole wheat pita and lean beef cuts. The secret to tender marinating steak is to cook the beef only to medium and to slice it across the grain as thinly as possible.
Lots of folks ask us how best to grill Round Steak. We like ours steeped and finished with a flavourful BIG Baste. Make Round Steak Done Right all summer long with a few pantry additions to jazz up the basic recipe (see variations below).
This is a kid-friendly recipe for a beef steak Caesar salad that the whole family will enjoy — easy to make and flavourful! If you don’t feel like making the Caesar dressing, you can substitute 1 cup (250 mL) of your favourite store-bought light Caesar dressing.
This colourful salsa and steak recipe combination is perfect for the summer berry season. Use Beef Medallions or Tenderloin Steak for the prettiest presentation.
Now here's a unique way to serve surf and turf. The beef steak in this Maritime recipe takes on the delicious smokey flavour from the smoked salmon.
This show-stopper uses the same technique as the classic German beef roulade, flattening out a sirloin steak with a mallet or back of a heavy pan to tenderize.
These beef bits are nice to nibble on and easy to make. You can substitute Asian chili sauce for the sambal oelek in both the beef and the peanut sauce. Sambal oelek is available in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
The trio of sweet peppers in red, yellow, green was the inspiration for the name of this quick-cooking stir-fry. You can substitute Strip Loin Grilling Steaks for the Top Sirloin if you like – no need to cut them in half to start.